RE: The world's most frequently read instructions?

Subject: RE: The world's most frequently read instructions?
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:48:19 +0100

Peter Newman observes:
> What I would think are probably the most read and followed instructions
> in this world are: ambiguously written and grammatically incorrect...
> the instructions identifying the room for me to use to answer a call of
> nature, will only say something like "Man."

Throughout the UK, the standard signs for those rooms are very stereotyped
hieroglyphs: on the women's door a little figure in a skirt and blouse, and
on the men's door, a little figure in trousers. (You also occasionally still
find "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" or "Gents".) But the two little glyphs, no
written text and no relation to reality, are so standard that a child who
can't read yet can recognise them.

You could say this is a case of a picture being worth a thousand words, but
whoever used a thousand words to identify which toilet door is which?

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer & Compendium
of Useless and Arcane Knowledge