Re: The world's most frequently read instructions?

Subject: Re: The world's most frequently read instructions?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 14:42:37 -0400

"Carnall, Jane" wrote:

> Peter Newman observes:
> > What I would think are probably the most read and followed instructions
> > in this world are: ambiguously written and grammatically incorrect...
> > the instructions identifying the room for me to use to answer a call of
> > nature, will only say something like "Man."
>
> Throughout the UK, the standard signs for those rooms are very stereotyped
> hieroglyphs: on the women's door a little figure in a skirt and blouse, and
> on the men's door, a little figure in trousers. (You also occasionally still
> find "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" or "Gents".) But the two little glyphs, no
> written text and no relation to reality, are so standard that a child who
> can't read yet can recognise them.
>
> You could say this is a case of a picture being worth a thousand words, but
> whoever used a thousand words to identify which toilet door is which?

A good use for a GUI.
Ah! but, if we sum up the total words used had the wrong door been
entered, (I am not saying which words,) betcha there was more than a
thousand. Using that logic one picture could be worth many times a
thousand words, not to include effect of the failure to raise blood
pressures. <g>

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-