Re: The world's most frequently read instructions?

Subject: Re: The world's most frequently read instructions?
From: "Carolyn Davidson" <cdavidso -at- ionline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 15:21:58 -0400

> Throughout the UK, the standard signs for those rooms are very stereotyped
> hieroglyphs: on the women's door a little figure in a skirt and blouse,
and
> on the men's door, a little figure in trousers. (You also occasionally
still

> find "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" or "Gents".) But the two little glyphs, no
> written text and no relation to reality, are so standard that a child who
> can't read yet can recognise them.

While camping (in Ontario) this past week, I was misled by a somewhat
ambiguous version of these icons. I am accustomed to the little figure of
the man having arms straight down at his sides. In this instance, the arms
were bent at the elbow so that, at a glance, the overall shape was not all
that different from the women in a skirt. The plumbing fixture just inside
the door was much less ambiguous, however, and I very quickly made my way to
the other side of the building!

Carolyn