RE: The world's most frequently read instructions?

Subject: RE: The world's most frequently read instructions?
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:25:53 +1100

Jane Carnall wrote:

> Throughout the UK, the standard signs for those rooms are very stereotyped
> hieroglyphs: on the women's door a little figure in a skirt and blouse, and
> on the men's door, a little figure in trousers.

Yes, I always wondered whether someone might
take the skirted figure for a Highland gent in a kilt, or
a Malaysian chieftain in traditional garb. And of course,
women wear trousers almost everywhere these days.

I can think of other sorts of hieroglyphs that would leave
absolutely no shred of ambiguity -- but I don't think some
people would be too comfortable with them.

Quickly changing the subject, when I arrived in Australia
I was interested to find many public "conveniences" labeled
"Male toilets" and "Female toilets." I still find it odd to see
the terms applied to inanimate objects.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia