Re: Need a term

Subject: Re: Need a term
From: Mark Nelson <mcn -at- cc -dot- usu -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 11:50:38 -0600

Sandy Harris replied to Marc A Barringer's query:

>>"Marc A. Barringer" wrote:
>>
>> Looking for a term for the process of "loading" a website with meta
>> terms and whatnot so that it is detected by search engines earlier and
>> rates higher on their scoring tables.
>
>If you really overdo it, it becomes "cheating", "tricking the search engines"
>or even "web spam". Extreme cases have turned up in discussions in the
>news.admin.net-abuse.* newsgroups. Last I looked, no-one there was sure
>what to do about them, but they were working on it.

This sounds an awful lot like what my Dad called 'chumming' while fishing.
That's the term I'd use. 'Chumming' as I understand it is throwing some of
your bait in the water. This attracts the fish and makes them less
cautious. As they eat the bait, they stumble onto the one that has the hook
in it. As for fishing, it is illegal in most places.

'Meta-chumming' (as Sandy illustrates) ought to be illegal as well.

Mark Nelson
Utah State University