RE: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)

Subject: RE: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:54:50 -0700

At 09:10 PM 9/4/00 +1100, Michael West wrote:

----------------------------------Long Snip
Again, this is just bad help design -- not a necessary result of
the online help medium.

I thought it was guite clear that I was not criticizing the on-line
help medium, but instead the predominant form that it has taken,
namely WinHelp-style help based on a keyword/index system.

I made that perfectly clear in the last paragraph of my original post,
which is repeated below:
Are there better ways than keyword/topic-based help systems
to produce on-line help that, unlike those systems, provide the
kind of links that put users in the driver's seat, and are structured
in such a way that users can form useful mental models of the
knowledge base? Absolutely. Are very many companies
doing it a better way? NOT.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates

Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.