Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews

Subject: Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 13:17:13 -0700

One of the banes of interviewing is coming across a spate of ungracious,
inconsiderate interviewers. We've all seen them, and sometimes some of us have
been them. That said, however, I certainly wouldn't paint the entire IS world
in the U.S. with the paintbrush you seem to be working with. Different
organizations have different needs, and different ways of recognizing just what
it is that they need.

I can assure you that most firms I know of on the West Coast wouldn't treat
prospective employees like that - the demand for talent is still incredibly
high, and rude treatment of qualified people is very counterproductive. If you
still run into 'we've already made an offer but if we have another opening
we'll contact you,' be aware that the need to staff things can change
directions on a dime - reqs can be created overnight, existing people can get
sick or give notice that they're leaving and thus need replacing, projects can
get canceled or accelerated, etc. And at most companies where I've been, an
employee's relative happiness with the job is a very important consideration,
so once the commitment is made, there's a strong effort to keep the new hire
happy.

I don't have an answer as to why the original poster and his wife ran into such
a collection of tactless wonders. Generally I've run into honesty in terms of
describing the situations.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems