Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)

Subject: Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:10:04 +1100

Dan Emory wrote:

> I thought it was guite clear that I was not criticizing the on-line
> help medium, but instead the predominant form that it has taken,
> namely WinHelp-style help based on a keyword/index system.

Apologies to Dan Emory. Somehow I've missed the point.

I still don't understand the relevance of "WinHelp-style help
based on a keyword/index system".

Can a WinHelp help system not have a well-designed table of
contents and well-placed "See also" links? Is there something
inherent in "keyword indexes" that leads to poorly designed
help systems?

While I agree in general with what you've written, I simply cannot
see the relevance of "WinHelp-style help based on a
keyword/index system" to the problem.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia