re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews

Subject: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:00:05 -0700

Mark Levinson <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com> wrote:

>Suppose you're doing the interviewing, you've found a candidate
>who might turn out to be the best you can find, but you
>sure wish somebody better would come along and you want
>to keep looking. What do you tell the candidate whom you
>want to keep on hold?

What I've done in this situation is tell the existing candidate
for a week or so that the company hadn't reached any hiring
decision yet. That's truthful, and all that the candidate really
needs to know.

Much longer than a week, however, isn't fair to the candidate and
does help the company get on with its work. One way or the other,
I'd make a decision then. I'd think hard about whether I was
being too much of a perfectionist, and whether the existing
candidate could learn the skills that he or she lacked.

Finally, if I seemed to be hedging, I'd remember that the best
interview processes have only a slightly better than random
chance of finding suitable candidates. :-)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The future was our to protect or profane,
Paradise lost or paradise gained.
You tell me: is paradise here
After two hundred years."
-Eric Bogle, "Bicentennial Song"