RE: Font size

Subject: RE: Font size
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:05:17 -0700

Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch> wrote:

>In many cases, 12 points is a bit too big. 11 point can be a good
>replacement

An important point to remember is that point size is the amount
of space given to characters, including the white space around
them. The actual letter form may be much smaller than the point
size. That's why the characters of two fonts of the same size can
be different. Some typographers have even suggested that point
size isn't a very good description of font size.

I believe that this difference dates from the days of lead type.
In those days, a letter couldn't go the edge of its block without
the risk of the block cracking in the press.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The future was our to protect or profane,
Paradise lost or paradise gained.
You tell me: is paradise here
After two hundred years."
-Eric Bogle, "Bicentennial Song"