Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)

Subject: Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:44:16 +1100

Seeking a clarification of Dan Emory's comments, I asked:
> > Is there something
> > inherent in "keyword indexes" that leads to poorly designed
> > help systems?

Sandy Harris responded:

> Yes, if they're the whole system is based on them, if the
> keyword index is all you get.

Thank you, Sandy. I didn't mean to be dense -- it's just that
I didn't realize that Dan Emory was referring to the keyword index
being "all you get."

I don't recall ever having seen a help system that had *only*
a keyword index, and no table of contents, no full-text search,
and no See Also references.

I guess I've been lucky.

> Different users have different tasks, interests, requirements, knowledge,
> learning styles, search styles, time pressures, ... Our goal should be to
> provide as many effective search mechanisms as we can, giving users the
> choice of which to use.

Absolutely.

--
Michael West