Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:23:11 -0700

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> You're sort of right and sort of wrong.

I was giving a very generalized description. However, thanks for
the more detailed description, and for adding comments about the
x-height. You give a much more complete account than I did. And I
appreciate the detailed description of manual type; it fascinates
me, but I've rarely had the chance to see it (and only once had
the chance to work with it).

> On the other hand, the lead strips used for leading were made of lead
> (unless they were cast on a Linotype, of course).

Some typographers apparently used strips of copper. An
uncle-in-law of mine, who began working in the newspaper busines
in the 1930s, claims that he even used wadded up pieces of paper
or wood chips if the deadline was nearing and he was desperate.
Possibly, though, he was exaggerating. for the sake of a good
story.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The future was our to protect or profane,
Paradise lost or paradise gained.
You tell me: is paradise here
After two hundred years."
-Eric Bogle, "Bicentennial Song"