RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)

Subject: RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:35:03 +1100

Geof Hart wrote:

> You have to be careful about what you read; a lot of typography books make
> recommendations based solely on the author's personal taste rather than on any
> consideration of the reader's needs, and those suggestions often don't check
> out in the real world.

Yes, I agree. The context I had in mind was
a fairly complex text with three or four heading
levels. I think two points of difference skates
rather too closely to the JND threshhold for
easy comprehension. I'd recommend giving
the reader's eyes some extra leeway.

> <<So where are we with regard to this peculiar notion of "using odd sizes"
> anyway?>>
>
> See above. Typography is too contextual (too many other factors are working
> simultaneously) for simplistic generalisations about a single typographic
> factor to work well.

Absolutely true. (To make a simplistic generalization!)

--
MW