Re: Font size for headings (was:Font size)

Subject: Re: Font size for headings (was:Font size)
From: "Sharon Deitch" <Sharon -at- eshbel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:19:43 +0200

Bruce writes:

>One reason that I hesitate to agree with the idea of a 3 point
>difference between the sizes on your font palette for
>tech-writing is that it tends to result in outrageously large
>fonts. If you have a body text of 12, then your headings
>(starting from Heading3) would be 15, 18 and 21 points in size,
>while your title would be 24. On a 7 x 9 page, which is very
>common for manuals, these sizes usually look ridiculous. YOu
>could also have trouble the other way if your captions were
>smaller than the body text.

Bruce, I agree absolutely. This is why one should use other ways of
distinguishing between headings. Even in the absence of color, one can use
placement (I like the major heading to hang on into the margin), expanding
by a point or so, or bold or not, to name three methods.

Sharon
Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
Eshbel Technologies, Ltd.