RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)

Subject: RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:37:17 +1100

Sharon Deitch writes:

> Bruce, I agree absolutely. This is why one should use other ways of
> distinguishing between headings. Even in the absence of color, one can use
> placement (I like the major heading to hang on into the margin), expanding
> by a point or so, or bold or not, to name three methods.

Yes, my "3-point rule" applies, as I mentioned, only when size is the
* only * marker for subordination. This is seldom the case.

And, yes, * if * 12 points is your smallest heading size, you could
end up with some undesirably large sizes at the top of a scheme
that extended to three or more levels.

Fortunately it is seldom necessary to start at 12 points. Most expert
designers will use weight, rather than size alone, to distinguish
headings from body text and from other headings. It is not
uncommon to see effective headings that are nominally equal to or
even smaller -- though blacker -- than the body text. Visual weight is
the key to emphasis, not size.

Michael West
Melbourne, Australia