Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: Robert -dot- Partridge -at- MONDEX -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:07:55 +0100

Hi all,

I've been following the discussion of font sizes with interest, and wondered

what you thought of the FrameMaker user guide which appears to be set
in 9pt text (don't know the font). Do you find this too small? It seems to
have
a greater than auto leading (perhaps 12 pt), which helps legibility.

I've used 9pt text in a document with caution before (the technical content
required me to lay out many columned tables, and the only way to do that
was to reduce the point size) and found it is fine, as long as you up the
leading.

Does anyone else use 9pt? Anyone use smaller? My personal taste is that
body text in 11pt or bigger reads like the books you find in the library for
people
with not so good eyesight. I read a lot of novels and am comfortable reading
small
typefaces. I was just wondering why we persist in using 11pt, 12pt or
larger,
for our documents when most people are comfortable reading the small type of

newspapers and books.

Rob

Robert Partridge
Technical Author

Tel: 020 7557 5098
Fax: 020 7557 5298
Email: robert -dot- partridge -at- mondex -dot- com

The information in this Email and any attached files are confidential,
may also be privileged, and is intended solely for the addressee.
Access, copying, dissemination, distribution or re-use of the information
in this Email and any attached files by anyone else is unauthorised.
necessarily represent those of Mondex International Limited or any of its
affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, all copies of the Email
and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom