Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: "Sharon Deitch" <Sharon -at- eshbel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:26:43 +0200

Robert asks:

>Does anyone else use 9pt? Anyone use smaller? My personal taste is that
>body text in 11pt or bigger reads like the books you find in the library
for
>people with not so good eyesight. I read a lot of novels and am comfortable
reading
>small typefaces. I was just wondering why we persist in using 11pt, 12pt
or
>larger, for our documents when most people are comfortable reading the
small type of
>newspapers and books.

Well, first, I'm afraid (and embarrassed that) I have to ask an ignorant
question. What does 'leading' mean?

You're absolutely correct that people typically read fonts much smaller than
12 pt. When it comes to manuals, however, I prefer the text to be large
enough to be comfortable under less-than-ideal circumstances. In other
words, I picture myself looking up something at the end of the day when I'm
tired and frustrated and my eyes hurt from staring at my computer screen all
day. What would I prefer to see? I'd rather have the font be a bit larger,
with a bit more white space than typically found in a novel or a newspaper,
to make it easier for me to find and read what I'm looking for.

Also, for non-native English speakers, smaller type may be harder to read.
I know myself I find smaller Hebrew fonts much harder to read than larger
ones (Hebrew not being my native language, but the language of the country
where I live).

My 2 cents,
Sharon
Sharon Deitch