Font size

Subject: Font size
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:51:09 +0200

Hi,

if you are using different font sizes, this may have influence to line
spacing in several ways, also to the general layout. There are different
methods. If you don't care about line spacing in tables or double sided
pages, you simply can say (font size * 1.2).
Otherwise, you must adjust the distances.
I prefer fixed line spacing, and fixed amount of white space at the end of
a paragraph. (With some exceptions in foot notes and pictures.)

It takes some time to set up the paragraph formats properly. If you use
automatic line spacing dependent on font size, it would be neccesary to
adjust the white space at the end of the paragraphs, a hard task.

That's why, I use different font sizes to the default text mainly in
headings, there I can keep the raster (grid) easily, by setting the
distance to the next line.

Do you think it is important to take care for this part of typography in
technical writing? Or is it just my own style?

Best regards
Bernd
Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de