Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)

Subject: Re: Looking for the Bingo (was Get to the point?)
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:39:43 +0100

> Dan said that the typical topic list he sees is simply an alphabetical list
> but is this not down to the tool used to create the help in the first place?
> Not done any help for almost a year now but when I first started (about 5
> years ago) we chose a HAT (HDK) that provided an Explorer style list of topics
> which could be nested as required; 'dummy' topics could also be added to help
> structure the topic list as needed. The documentation was almost entirely
> online and was split into books, chapters etc.

This was seen as quite plus feature, a good selling point. From past
experience I would have thought that other HATs would have taken it on board by
now.

The help I produced was virtually all context sensitive, relating to specific
pages etc. When you clicked on the Help button on a screen it displayed the
'how to' information for that screen with see also links to associated topics,
background information etc. If you pressed F1 then the opening topic was
displayed with the TOC attached (option to embed or have floating). Experienced
used often went straight to this and then used the TOC to find what they were
looking for (good/appropriate naming required!). Keyword search was also
provided - basically the aim was to provide the user with as many ways as
possible to get the required information.

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author