RE: Font size

Subject: RE: Font size
From: Robert -dot- Partridge -at- MONDEX -dot- com
To: Robert -dot- Partridge -at- MONDEX -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, margulis -at- fiam -dot- net
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:37:50 +0100

Hi Dick,

Ahhh, so you're saying that the Frame books work because they are in two
columns, keeping the line length down. That would make sense. It makes it
easier to scan down a column quickly. My book was OK because the information
was in tables and small nuggets. It would also explain why some of my
college text books were such a drudge to read (long line length, small
typeface)!

Thanks,

Rob

Robert Partridge
Technical Author

Tel: 020 7557 5098
Fax: 020 7557 5298
Email: robert -dot- partridge -at- mondex -dot- com

> Dick Margulis[SMTP:margulis -at- fiam -dot- net] said:
>
> When people use default margins on letter-size paper, small point sizes
> create lines that are too long. So larger sizes work better. (This has
> nothing to do with how far your nose is from the page, by the way, or
> with the assumed visual acuity of the typical reader.)
>
> The maximum line length for good readability--at typical text
> leading--is between 60 and 70 characters.) (This is because of the way
> the eye moves across when reading. Therefore, once you select a font and
> margins,the variable that is easiest to control is point size.

The information in this Email and any attached files are confidential,
may also be privileged, and is intended solely for the addressee.
Access, copying, dissemination, distribution or re-use of the information
in this Email and any attached files by anyone else is unauthorised.
necessarily represent those of Mondex International Limited or any of its
affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, all copies of the Email
and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom