Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:19:23 +1100

Dick Margulis wrote:

> The maximum line length for good readability--at typical text
> leading--is between 60 and 70 characters.) (This is because of the way
> the eye moves across when reading. Therefore, once you select a font and
> margins,the variable that is easiest to control is point size.

This is -- like most other things we're discussing here -- quite
debateable.

Some would say an alphabet and a half. Some would say ten to
twelve words (average). There are other rules of thumb as well.

There is quite a nice presentation of this issue in _Words into
Type_ -- which should be on the bookshelf of anyone who does
page composition.

Line length (which I prefer to call "text column width" to distinguish
body text from other elements, such as headings). is one of the
most abused components of good page design among amateur
page designers.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia