Re: thought-provoking web page question

Subject: Re: thought-provoking web page question
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> wrote:
> What are people's favorite things to see on a web page? Lots of
> graphics, witty text, a good combination of both. This plays into
> Plato's argument about doco. not having enough graphics. What about
> an initial splash screen? Hate it? Like it? Are load times more
> important then anything?
>
> What in your opinion, makes a good web page? You can answer me
> offline, examples are welcome.

I think the answer to the question depends on several factors. What is
the purpose of the page (or web or site)? Who is the audience you're
trying to reach? Why is this audience coming to your site? What are
they looking for?

Splashy graphics and witty text might be very appropriate for a site
that is geared to sales, but maybe one or the other would not be
appropriate to a site geared to people trying to get help with an
application or looking to download some documentation update.

For my Intranet sites, I tend toward the very functional: text that
answers questions or provides information I'm expecting my readers to
be looking for, graphics that are more functional than splashy. (For
example, I'm not big into animated graphics, because I don't see that
they help my users find the information they need.)

I try to make my pages clean, easy to read, full of links to
information my users have told me they are looking for on our sites. I
use graphics and enhanced text where I want to draw the reader's eye to
new or important information or links. But then our sites are providing
information for a defined user base. I'm not trying to see anyone
anything. I would probably do things differently if I were selling.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems