RE: Keeping synchronized

Subject: RE: Keeping synchronized
From: "Keith Anderson" <keith_anderson -at- mkanderson -dot- com>
To: <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:31:34 -0500

John:

Here's my process, which is dependent on tools.

First of all, for those computers that are connected, use FusionOne
(http://www.fusionone.com). I've been using it for three months now and it's
great. The only downside is that it doesn't sync help files (anything with
an extension of HLP or CHM) along with executables. But other than that,
it's great for the stuff I do. I have it set to sync when I boot and when I
logoff.

That leaves your non-connected PC. Try Puma Tech's Intellisync for Notebooks
(http://www.pumatech.com/Intellisync_Notebooks.html). It works pretty well
for computers without Web access. I used it when I was consulting and spent
two hours a day on the train. I had to manually sync (connect it to my other
PC via parallel cable) when I knew I changed things. I can see that doing
this in combination with FusionOne would work well. Just remember that you
have to keep track of when you sync non-connected PCs. There's no automatic
way to do it since you have to either put it in a docking station or connect
it physically.

I now use FusionOne on my laptop and make a habit of syncing regularly. But
I also have an Ethernet card in it and connect it to my network before I
travel. I keep my files synchronized between three PCs right now and I
haven't had a problem.

Good luck.

Keith Anderson

keith_anderson -at- mkanderson -dot- com
http://www.mkanderson.com