Frames are panes ???

Subject: Frames are panes ???
From: Berk/Devlin <armadill -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:47:31 -0700

Hi Guys:

A friend sent me the following question. Sorry if it's been dealt with here before.

What is the correct name (to use in documentation) for sections of a
Web page that consists of frames?

Left frame? Main frame? Right frame?

Or pane???

Here's what I think my answer is. What do y'alls think? (My parents and I are from NYC, but they live in NC now, so I can say this.)

Frame is the technical term for sections of certain windows.
Are they always implemented as frames though? Do your have Web pages
built on tables or with no-frames but that have sections that LOOK like
frames? (Mine do.)

Pane is clear too, but it doesn't refer to the particular way in
which sections of Web pages were implemented.

So, it would be more from the end-user perspective. "Pane" is more
generic -- it refers to a section of a Web page. If the page
implementation is changed, it might no longer contain frames but it
might still contain panes.

There is no such thing as Absolute Truth, and I know Andrew Plato is thinking, "Frames/Panes/Who cares???!! Just call it SOMETHING and get on with your life."

But, I don't have much of a life.

On the web at *** Armadillo Associates, Inc.
~Extremely-technical technical documentation that developers use.~

Previous by Author: Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
Next by Author: Font size
Previous by Thread: Re: Oranges OT (was Get to the Point)
Next by Thread: RE: Frames are panes ???

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads