RE: thought-provoking web page question

Subject: RE: thought-provoking web page question
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:42:29 -0400

Contrast. I don't care if text is dark on a light
background, or white/yellow on a dark background.
I just want it readable without squinting. Take
web designers who enjoy Wired Magazine's lovely
low-contrast text boxes, split/fractured/broken
photos, multiply-overlayed product photos, etc....
line them up and mow them down... and all will be
well on web and paper pages everywhere.

Actually, do all the neat effects you want, playing
with complementary/non-complementary color juxtapositions,
moire effects, multiple super-positions, whatever
you like. Just don't do it to any text I'm supposed
to read, or to any photo/diagram I am supposed to
understand -- or that a reasonable person should
expect to grasp in 1/5 of a second and move on.

I don't appreciate being made to squint and ponder
over an object or a block of text, only to find
out that the content or the meaning it imparts is
too trivial to justify the effort I expended to
extract it from the artsy, imposed noise.

Put your eye-candy where I can GET it if I WANT it,
but where I can NOT see it if I DON'T want it.
It irritates me, no end, to have a spinning, hopping,
wowing, looping cartoon in my field of vision, when
I'm trying to read. At worst, let it run three times
and then ... STOP!!

Be selective in your use of intense color. If a big
chunk is in my field of view while I'm tring to read,
then an equally big ghost image will persist in my
poor, over-saturated vision as I try to view the next
item/page. Is that what you wanted?

Splash screens? Depends. Do you FORCE me to view
it every time I enter your site? I don't like that.

Cutesy clip-art is ok if it has something to do with
the topic at hand. Does it keep to a theme? Does
the theme mean something, in context with what I'm
trying to read? Does the theme/layout help me to
find and categorize info? Does the clip-art aid
my browsing? Keep it.

It doesn't do any of that? Get RID of it. It just
shows your lack of imagination.

Music? We-e-e-elllll maybe if it's button-activated,
and either ends in finite time, or can BE ended by
me, when I get sick of hearing it. But DON'T force
it on me.

Multiple scrollable frames? May your rotting fingers
fall off into your soup!

Eh?!
Oh... was that a rant? Sorry. </rant>

Well, *I* feel better. :-)

/kevin

PS: Yes, I appreciate a "Last updated" for the
currently-visible info. I don't CARE if the
SITE was last updated yesterday, when you don't
tell me that the particular page I'm viewing is
three years old and moldy on the back.
Whoops! I was ranting again, wasn't I...

PPS: No, I'm not replying directly to Jane (it's not
her fault) I'm just using her post as a jumping-off
point to address the mythical web-page designer.