Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews

Subject: Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:13:24 -0700

"Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com> wrote:

> One of the banes of interviewing is coming across a spate of ungracious,
> inconsiderate interviewers. We've all seen them, and sometimes some of us have
> been them. That said, however, I certainly wouldn't paint the entire IS world
> in the U.S. with the paintbrush you seem to be working with. Different
> organizations have different needs, and different ways of recognizing just what
> it is that they need.

I have to agree. As a frequent contractor, I must have had over
60 interviews in the last five years, possibly as many as 70 or
80. I've only had one that I would classify as obnoxious, and a
handful of others that were mildly annoying.

It helps to remember that most interviewers aren't very
experienced, and often don't know much about technical writing.
Most of them are fumbling, and many are also distracted by the
fact that - like many people in high tech :-) - they're trying to
cover up their lack of experience and knowledge. You could very
well know more about what to look for than the person
interviewing you, which is another reason for the interviewer to
be embarrassed or resentful. They're probably trying to do their
best.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The rich coming waving their money, but money's not the price,
Souls that gain admission cannot pay it twice,
Stock exchange quotations, do not list its name,
But behind the walls at Liberty Hall, they're buying just the
same."
- Oyster Band, "Liberty Hall"