RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)

Subject: RE: Font size for headings (was:Font size)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:21:45 -0700

"Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com> wrote:

>I am less cynical about the mainstream of typographic design and
>practice than Geof is. I see far worse offenses from those
>who * don't * know the rules than I do from those who do know the
>rules but choose occasionally to stretch them. The early editions of
>"Wired" magazine are notable exceptions: the designers tripped out
>completely. If you look at "Wired" today, it's pretty much back in
>the fold, typographically.

Of course,"Wired" and similar magazines were deliberately
breaking the conventions to push the boundaries. These efforts
are best deplored if you have a strong knowledge of classical
typography. :-)

The magazine I write for is a fairly new one, and still trying to
find its look. It went through a "Wired" look for an issue or
two. The highlight (or low point, depending on your take) was an
article laid out with white type on a red patterned background. I
jokingly threatened to ritually disembowel myself with my
keyboard at the front door of the magazine's offices if any
article of mine was ever given a similar layout (The editor's
response was to offer a keyboard).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The rich coming waving their money, but money's not the price,
Souls that gain admission cannot pay it twice,
Stock exchange quotations, do not list its name,
But behind the walls at Liberty Hall, they're buying just the
same."
- Oyster Band, "Liberty Hall"