Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, margulis -at- fiam -dot- net
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:31:51 -0700

Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net> wrote:

>The reason is that different fonts have different x heights.
>The x height is the height of the lowercase letter x. Some fonts have a
>much larger x height (and consequently shorter ascenders and/or
>descenders) than other fonts of the same point size. This gives them the
>appearance of being equivalent to larger point sizes of the other fonts.

A couple of overnight thoughts on this subject:

First, the set width and the curvature of the bowls (the rounded
parts of a "b" or a "p" or similar letters) also contributes
here. A narrow width or a tight, narrow bowl should make a letter
appear smaller.

Second, I've read that designers of digital fonts actually do
make letterforms of different heights, leaving more or less white
space for the point size. I'm not altogether certain that is
true. However, I suspect that it might be true for the digital
versions of Eric Gill's Joanna and many of Adrian Frutiger's
fonts, including Apollo.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The rich coming waving their money, but money's not the price,
Souls that gain admission cannot pay it twice,
Stock exchange quotations, do not list its name,
But behind the walls at Liberty Hall, they're buying just the
same."
- Oyster Band, "Liberty Hall"