Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:15:38 -0700

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Bruce Byfield wrote:
>

> >A couple of overnight thoughts on this subject:
> >
> >First, the set width and the curvature of the bowls (the rounded
> >parts of a "b" or a "p" or similar letters) also contributes
> >here. A narrow width or a tight, narrow bowl should make a letter
> >appear smaller.
> >

> I'm not sure this is true, Bruce. Consider Times New Roman, which is a slightly condensed font (because it was designed for narrow newspaper columns). I think condensing a face gives it a more vertical appearance and therefore enhances the illlusion of larger size. On the other hand, extended faces always look smaller to me.

Other design elements play a role, too. A small x-height and a
narrow bowl looks smaller to me than a large x-height and a
narrow bowl.

> It could be that you are correct about digital faces now having built-in top and bottom bearings, although I have not heard of this practice. But given that the page designer can specify negative leading if desired, I'm not sure what the practical effect would be.

For what it's worth, the reason that I think the statement may be
true is that I've had an unusually hard time adjusting the
leading on Joanna and Apollo: it always seemed to be greater than
the settings I used.So, the practical effect would likely be
extra leading.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The rich coming waving their money, but money's not the price,
Souls that gain admission cannot pay it twice,
Stock exchange quotations, do not list its name,
But behind the walls at Liberty Hall, they're buying just the
same."
- Oyster Band, "Liberty Hall"