Re: Keeping synchronized

Subject: Re: Keeping synchronized
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:13:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I have a laptop, a couple of computers at home and one at my office.
> Any of them might be used for work purposes.
>
> For those in the same situation, what do you do to keep them
> "synchronized" with the latest versions of the files that you are
> working on.
>
> Before you state the obvious (network), keep in mind that the work
> computer is behind firewall and difficult to access, and the laptop
> is usualy used unconnected, such as on a train or in the backyard on
> a picnic table.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a general outline of the process and
> routine, not necessarily tools or software, though suggestions will
> be considered.

John, I'm probably going to state the obvious, but what the heck.
Somebody ought to describe a low tech approach. <g>

I've got about four machines that I can do work on, too. A Windows
based machine in the office, a Windows based laptop, a Macintosh
laptop, and a Macintosh G3. None of them are networked, except the work
machine which networks with other office computers, so it doesn't count
in this case.

Since the office PC is the primary machine, I funnel everything into
that. If I'm going to work at home, I'll email the files to be worked
on. When I'm done at home, I'll email them back to the office. Same for
the other machines. I maintain the primary copies on the office
machine. Each time I'm in the office, I make sure to upload any files
I've modified before I start working on those files.

Yes, it gets kind of cumbersome if you have lots of files and lots of
time between visits to the primary machine, but I guess I'm organized
enough to make it work, so far anyway. <g>

HTH,

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer