Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews

Subject: Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
From: benadam -at- cyberdude -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

A fact you may want to consider before passing judgment here: the companies in question solicited me after seeing a résumé on the Web; I did not, in any way, solicit these companies for employment.

It has always been my policy to negotiate with an open mind and to allow for fair dialogue. Therefore, the pithy responses were difficult to comprehend. I didn't exactly lose sleep over either, however; neither were, in my opinion, worthy of pursuit, based upon the data I acquired in the interviewing processes. It is possible to give a negative answer and still be respectful; neither of these companies seemed to be aware of that.

As for the question Mark Levinson floated, my response is: if you override the emotions of a candidate who may turn out to be the best one you can find, don't be surprised if you end up with second best in the end. A true professional knows to concentrate on getting the job done first, last, and always. If a person who has that capability is given a feeling of being unwanted prior to beginning work, that person is unlikely to report for the first day unless force majeure is active. (I had that situation in 1991 when the Gulf War loomed large over us in Israel and I was in no position to negotiate; however, I remained with the company in question only as long as I had to and left without any sympathies.)

I think the prize goes to one company that had an HR employee conduct the initial interview. That employee admitted to having no professional knowledge of the work involved but was empowered to terminate a candidate from proceeding to the next level. As much as I tried to figure out the logic for this process, I was at a total loss as to what it was supposed to accomplish. In the end, I could just assume that if I had such a problem understanding the logic involved, I would have an equally difficult time working in a company that employed such logic in screening employees.

- Maury

Get free personalized email at http://geocities.iname.com