RE: The world's most frequently read instructions

Subject: RE: The world's most frequently read instructions
From: "Haas, Guy" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:31:40 -0700

Pulling the pins on exterior hinges works only when the hinge pins lack
cross-pins. Our church buildings have exterior hinges and we had a break-in
a while back. The perpetrators pulled the top and bottom hinge pins but
could not pull the middle one because it has a cross-pin (accessible only
when the door is open). They took a sledge to the hinge side of the door,
the adjacent door frame, then to the lock side of the door -- to no avail.
Finally, they wised up and broke a window beside the door -- 7 feet high and
almost 3 feet wide.

They stole a Pentium I computer that was on a locking cable (unable to cut
the cable, they ripped its mount out of the back of the cpu box, and they
cut the cable connecting the cpu to the monitor plus the power cable), and a
lovely large tall floor-standing tower containing a 386 cpu (which is why it
was not locked down). They also stole a phone, cutting its connector to the
wall jack and its connector to its power transformer. They left their sledge
behind. I considered nominating them for the Stupid Criminals awards......

--Guy K. Haas gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net or ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley