RE: thought-provoking web page question

Subject: RE: thought-provoking web page question
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:27:40 -0400

The September 1, 2000 issue of "Internet World" magazine has a special
report detailing the results of their 2000 Design Survery. I haven't read
the article in depth, but it did bring up an interesting point: broadband
vs. PDA. With more and more people using their pagers, cell phones, and
Palms/Visors to download and manipulate data from the Web, we're back to
where we were three or four years ago when bandwidth was a major factor in
Web site design.

The purpose of a site will have a lot to do with whether you design it for a
browser or a communication device or PDA, and that will influence the
graphics you use and the way you organize the site.

I'm still using a 56k connection to the Web at home, but I don't mind
graphics on Web sites as long as the graphics download quickly. I really
don't like it, though, when a site uses Flash on its main page. Just
because I have the viewer installed doesn't mean I want to wait a full 60
seconds for somebody's snazzy Flash creation to download and play on my
screen. I much prefer having a choice of "Flash Enhanced" or "Standard
Design" on the main page. If I have the time and feel like being
entertained, I might choose the Flash Enhanced version, but if I'm crunched
for time or am connected to the Web via a modem, I'd rather just have some
nice, quick-loading graphics and lots of text.

Splash screens don't do much for me. They don't usually convey any
information, besides maybe the company logo, and they require me to "Click
to Enter," which is one additional click in my journey to the information
I'm looking for.

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer
Product Information
FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.
Voice: 1.248.377.7948
E-mail: megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com