Re: Get to the point?

Subject: Re: Get to the point?
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:18:45 -0700

I read a lot of fiction as a child - things like Treasure Island and Kidnapped. Because I lacked experience, I found the descriptions fascinating. I would not have enjoyed the books as much without all the detail.

When I go back to this as an adult, I am impatient and skim over the details.

Marilynne
BTW, why is it the modern novel spends so much time on the gore and little on the "dark and stormy night"? I don't really care to read the details of such things.

At 09:17 PM 9/3/00 -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Peter wrote:

> Assuming we are talking about fiction, you have unfortunate
> misperception. It is even more unfortunate if you do not have a
> misperception. Properly written introductions can set the proper tone
> and mood. However, there are other techniques for creating a background
> for understanding, other than a lengthy introduction. It can be
> effectively accomplished through character dialogue.

I'm not talk theory. Nor am I talking about personal preference;
I've taught the Victorian novel at university, and often read
Victorian novels for pleasure. As for Thomas Hardy (whom I
mentioned in my original post as an example of how not to do
things today), I've read virtually all his poetry and prose, and
much of it twice.

But theory and preference aside, I don't see how you can consider
the changes in style in the last century and question that the
pace is getting faster. The fact is so obvious that, if anything,
I was afraid that I was stating the obvious.

Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer