Keyboard Combinations

Subject: Keyboard Combinations
From: "Styles & Scribbles" <sands -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:29:33 -0700

I'm looking for *published* information on referring to keyboard
combinations, specifically on connectors to use (e.g., press CTRL-V to
paste, press CTRL+V to paste).

The MSTP says to use pluses (+). We've got management leaning toward that
simply because MSTP is considered an industry standard (despite departments
that I've worked in at Microsoft have their own style guides that often say
to use a hyphen.) Per co-worker, "MSTP uses a + to connect these: CTRL+P
(p. 143). There are listings in MSTP for Key Combinations, Key Names, and
Key Sequences."

**Specifically, I'm looking for published information that says to use
hyphens since we're predominantly using Word and we can use non-breaking
hyphens to ensure that the keyboard combination remains together at line
breaks.**

(Per management, "I hate to veer away from MS standards, since I feel like
in this area they have set a pretty strong industry standard. But definitely
if we can provide other precedence or reasons for going with a hyphen
instead, let's document why and go with it.")

Thanks,
-Tif

Tiffany Adamowski
Styles & Scribbles