Thought-provoking web page question: what do you like?

Subject: Thought-provoking web page question: what do you like?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Michele Davis'" <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:22:56 -0400

Michele Davis wonders: <<What are people's favorite things to see on a web
page? Lots of graphics, witty text, a good combination of both... What about
aninitial splash screen? Hate it? Like it? Are load times more important
then anything?What in your opinion, makes a good web page?>>

The question isn't meaningful unless you specify the context first: for fun?
for finding information? For me, the perfect Web page is one that
understands my needs and responds to them: pretty graphics and animations
only if I'm seeking visual stimulation, a brilliantly designed and efficient
hierarchy if I'm seeking information, comprehensible text in either case,
and fast load times no matter what my purpose is in accessing the Web site.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer