Re: Survey says????

Subject: Re: Survey says????
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:06:08 -0400

Ah, surveys.

I have yet to meet one that works, but, then, I be a technical writer, not a
marketeer.

Surveys seem to be defined by an acute lack of responses. Or, those who
respond are the managers or people not involved in whatever it is you
documented. You could try a freebie, T-shirt thing, to promote responses,
but that seems to gather more meaningless and strange responses than
anything else.

I recommend you try this: have a user conference. Announce you are buying
drinks in the bar at 7. As people come in the door, nail their feet to the
floor with 12-inch nails and offer to give them morphine and free them only
after they have honestly discussed with you and completed the survey. The
discussion part lets you know how honest and relevant the answers are,
because my method still lacks the kind of motivation needed for the research
response you require.

And, if you have a sales guy with you, by all means buy them a beer, after
you finish, on the corporate credit card . . ..

Best regards, in all seriousness, my experience is that surveys fail, in all
regards, yet I do look forward to a summary of advice on this issue, more
information about what you ultimately decide to do, and thoughts about what
you spent and got in return for your $$.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com