Using Text from Microsoft Manual of Style

Subject: Using Text from Microsoft Manual of Style
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:51:31 -0400

Hello fellow listers. I have a question about the legality of using
information from the Microsoft Manual of Style in our own company style
guide (the guide will be provided on the company network as either an .hlp
or .chm file). We would like to use some of the topics "as is". What is the
legality of this? Do we need to obtain specific permission/licensing, or can
we use the text as long as we reference the source?

This is not a discussion about style guides in general, nor the Microsoft
Manual of Style in particular. It is a question involving
copyrighting/licensing and the use of copyrighted information in another
source. This becomes a little tricky as the MSMS includes a CD with help
file versions of the guide, so there is actually a software license
agreement involved. I figured that other writers probably considered this
option at some point, and wondered about how you proceeded. Any insight is
appreciated.

Please copy me directly on any posts, as I receive the digest version of the
list.

Karen R. Casemier
Senior Technical Writer
Provia Software
karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com