RE: Just do it

Subject: RE: Just do it
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'kfshea -at- sci-techconsult -dot- com'" <kfshea -at- sci-techconsult -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:15:31 -0400

Once again, several have missed Andrew's point. Had your newbie TW asked
questions and experimented with Robohelp, in addition to watching you work,
and then asked some more questions and experimented some more, he'd have had
more of a clue and his document would have been a mite more useful. Had he
handed any of us a well-masticated, overplanned survey on whether we thought
the documentation for Robohelp was useful or not, and never tried anything,
he'd never have a clue about how Robohelp really works.

Some of the posters hit it on the head, if you have no other method to get
feedback, try a survey, but don't be surprised if you get no response, or
very little useful feedback. In all my experience, everytime we sent out a
survey or a feedback card, we never got a single response. When we sat down
and worked with tech support, we got all sorts of interesting grist for the
doco mill. Even more useful was on-site observation, not of how they use
the documentation, but of how they use the product. That, combined with
lots of trial and error on our own, and questioning of the various SMEs is
what makes useful doc. A pretty self-addressed stamped envelope with scaled
questions just isn't a substitute for research and experimentation. The
documentation may never be able to address every nuance, but it's more
likely to hit all the major needs in a useful way.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb