Re: Just do it (Long & Occasionally Sarcastic)

Subject: Re: Just do it (Long & Occasionally Sarcastic)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

I used to work for a consulting firm (E&Y) that did BIG bucks
creating surveys. However, someone didn't sit in their office and put
down a bunch of questions that they wanted to know about. Creating a
survey was a big project, with lots of on-hand observation, customer
hand-holding, focus groups, and months of time getting to know the
customer, their environment, their product, etc. They then had
advanced statistical principles applied.

So...were they difficult, yes. Were they valid, yes. Did you know the
customer's needs before doing them, yes.

> > > Just because useful surveys are difficult to do is no reason
> > > not to do them.
>
> And Andrew Plato responded:
> > I disagree. You get misleading results and eat up a lot of time.
> That time would be better spent learning what users/readers do.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com