RE: Just do it

Subject: RE: Just do it
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:03:39 -0400

Hallo:

-----Original Message-----
From: ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com [SMTP:ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 12:40 PM
To: TECHWR-L

Andrew Plato wrote:

Yadda yadda yadda

This method may be adequate for writers who document only software,
but I
doubt that it would have been very effective when I was writing
flight
manuals and checklists for fighter aircraft (flight school takes
quite a
while).

So, how did you learn about your subject? Obviously, flying a jet fighter is
a little much to ask of a writer . . ..

Also, following this method would have required me to crash a plane
in a desert, at sea, or on a mountain, then find my way back by
living off
the land when I wrote survival manuals for the Air Force (U.S.).

But, I'll be attending wilderness and survival training, say in Alaska, via
a commercial outfit, would have been a great resource! Obviously, you would
not have time to checkout every environment you wrote about but getting the
background would have been very interesting and enjoyable.

I'm glad there were other ways to obtain the information I needed.

However, if you do write in the computer field or something as grounded as
that, why not perform the tasks your users are expected to? Seriously, I run
everything my users do before and during the writing process. It's a great
way to find bugs. When I wrote about machinery and machinery maintenance, I
performed the maintenance before writing about it . . . which permitted me
the opportunity to photograph parts and procedures as a basis for
illustration.

Cheers,
Carma
ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com