Re: fields in or on a tab

Subject: Re: fields in or on a tab
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:44:10 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Becca Price" <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>; "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 1:27 AM

> Many people have suggested something akin to this
> solution; I should have put the context for my
> question, however ... it's a side note, saying
> basically that you can also right-click a field in/on
> a tab to display a shortcut menu.

I don't think it is accurate to say that a
field is "in [or on] a tab."

The item the users click is probably in
a property sheet or other type of dialog,
not on the "tab" itself. The "tab" is just
the little bit that sticks out -- the bit that
we click to open something.

I'm not sure that "field" is the right word
either -- though it may be. If you're writing
for a Windows app, consider this advice
from the MMoS:

"FIELD : Do not use to refer to a box or option in a
dialog box. Okay to use to refer to Word field codes
and for other technically accurate uses."

Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

p.s. "MMoS" = the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications