Re: Keyboard Combinations

Subject: Re: Keyboard Combinations
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:21:44 +1100

"Styles & Scribbles" <sands -at- drizzle -dot- com> wrote in message
news:66350 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I'm looking for *published* information on referring to keyboard
> combinations, specifically on connectors to use (e.g., press CTRL-V to
> paste, press CTRL+V to paste).

If you're writing for Windows users, I'd recommend sticking with
the Windows convention (Ctrl+V) because:

(a) that is what most users will be most familiar with, and
(b) a "plus sign" means "plus" to most people, whereas
hyphens can mean almost anything.

I think these usability considerations override the line-break
considerations -- which wouldn't take long to fix manually.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

I imagine that someday there will be a new kind
of sadomasochistic role-playing in which the
technologically adept will pay dominatrices to
treat them like newbies.
-- Dennis Cass (Harper's Magazine, July 2000)