Re: techwr-l digest: September 05, 2000

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: September 05, 2000
From: "Brett Lunceford" <brettl -at- excitehome -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:16:14 -0700

> What are people's favorite things to see on a web page? Lots of
> graphics, witty text, a good combination of both. This plays into
> Plato's argument about doco. not having enough graphics. What about an
> initial splash screen? Hate it? Like it? Are load times more important
> then anything?
>
> What in your opinion, makes a good web page? You can answer me offline,
> examples are welcome.

I personally hate splash screens. I like witty text and nifty graphics as
much as the next person, but I do not like it at the expense of being
cheesy. Unfortunately, this often happens on the Web. Load times are
important. I work for a broadband ISP and even we try to keep file sizes
low. The average person will wait about 10 seconds (or somewhere around
there) for your page to load. If it isn't there by then, they are out of
there. There are millions of pages out there that they can look at. The
first page is the most important. Make it appealing, but not cluttered. The
most important thing though is the first rule of communication: Know Your
Audience....

I just went to a few Web interface usability seminars last week, so this is
all still rather fresh. I'll go back to lurking now.

Brett Lunceford
Web Editor
brettl -at- excitehome -dot- net