desktop or laptop?

Subject: desktop or laptop?
From: "Fisher, Melissa" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:46:50 -0400

Hi all, have a quick question I hope is not too far off-topic.

I will be getting a new computer and have the luxury of choosing between a
laptop and desktop. I'll be working from home from here on out and I'd like
your opinions regarding the reliability of a laptop. I am leaning toward the
laptop because of the convenience - but my last venture with a laptop, while
completely satisfactory for most of its duration, ended very, very badly.

I am not likely to replace this computer for 3 years, and while I'll have a
service agreement, I still wish to minimize any down time. The laptop in
question is an IBM ThinkPad 1210; the desktop is an HP Pavilion 6644D.

Do you find laptops to be less reliable than desktops, or more prone to
failure? If so, do you think it is a result of the way it is handled or
mishandled?

I appreciate quick responses as I need to make up my mind soon! Thank you
all for your help and opinions.

Melissa Fisher
melissa -dot- fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com