Re: desktop or laptop?

Subject: Re: desktop or laptop?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Fisher, Melissa" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all, have a quick question I hope is not too far off-topic.
>
> I will be getting a new computer and have the luxury of choosing
> between a laptop and desktop. I'll be working from home from here on
> out and I'd like your opinions regarding the reliability of a laptop.
> I am leaning toward the laptop because of the convenience - but my
> last venture with a laptop, while completely satisfactory for most
> of its duration, ended very, very badly.
>
> I am not likely to replace this computer for 3 years, and while I'll
> have a service agreement, I still wish to minimize any down time. The
> laptop in question is an IBM ThinkPad 1210; the desktop is an HP
> Pavilion 6644D.
>
> Do you find laptops to be less reliable than desktops, or more prone
> to failure? If so, do you think it is a result of the way it is
> handled or mishandled?

I haven't found laptops to be more failure prone than desktop
computers. Of course, since they travel from place to place, they
become more at risk from the ordinary bumps and bangs of daily life,
but they are also generally constructed more robustly so as to be able
to handle such things.

From a documentation developement standpoint, though, I would be
concerned if my *only* computer was a laptop. The smaller the screen,
the harder I find it to get layout right. It is sometimes a pain in the
you-know-what to scroll left to right constantly when working layout
issues. So I would look at screen size carefully.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems