RE: desktop or laptop?

Subject: RE: desktop or laptop?
From: "EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore" <Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>, "'Fisher, Melissa'" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:22:13 -0700

Thursday, Sept. 7, 2000 at 6:46 AM Melissa Fisher wrote, in part:

> Do you find laptops to be less reliable than desktops, or more prone to
> failure? If so, do you think it is a result of the way it is handled or
> mishandled?

Melissa,

I have used a Dell laptop for the past two years, and am prepared to vouch for the problems that can result from even moderate amounts of handling. The question is, how to avoid the unavoidable damage.

There is a way to limit the number of time you remove the laptop from the docking station. (Docking and undocking are unavoidable activities, but each time this is done, the chance of something being jarred loose and perhaps even lost increases.)

Since laptops are notorious for walking off if left unattended, it makes sense to hide the docking station on a shelf with a closable and lockable door on it. Then you can leave the laptop there for as long as you like, provided you lock it up when you are not around. No more undocking and placing it on the shelf and then locking the shelf!

Of course, dropping a laptop is a definite no-no. They are delicate machines.

Having said all that, let me hasten to add that, after IBM completely rebuilt my laptop when it had completely given up the ghost, it returned to life and has functioned normally for the past 18 months, with only minor glitches.

So, would I get another Dell laptop. The answer is Yes, because the support was good, and the overall performance is also good.

And no, I have financial interest in IBM or Dell. I just like the laptop.

I hope this helps.

Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
Technical Writer, COMSYS
Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- Boeing -dot- com

The opinions expressed here are mine, and not those of my employer, my customer, or my colleagues (as least as far as I know).