Re: Using Text from Microsoft Manual of Style

Subject: Re: Using Text from Microsoft Manual of Style
From: bdavis -at- acucorp -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:21:15 -0700

I'm sure that copying whole sections verbatim from Microsoft's style guide
would be an infringement of their copyright.

However, why not simply cross reference the Microsoft topics in your style
guide? That way your style guide will be shorter and you eliminate the
issue of copying whole sections of their manual. Of course you may want
to provide the Microsoft manual on the intranet as well (after making sure
you have permission to do so).

-----Original Message from Karen Casemier-----
Hello fellow listers. I have a question about the legality of using
information from the Microsoft Manual of Style in our own company style
guide (the guide will be provided on the company network as either an .hlp
or .chm file). We would like to use some of the topics "as is". What is
the
legality of this? Do we need to obtain specific permission/licensing, or
can
we use the text as long as we reference the source?
<snip>

Bettina Davis
Communications Department
Acucorp, Inc