RE: Context ID Utility

Subject: RE: Context ID Utility
From: jsmith -at- informatica -dot- com
To: peterlucas -at- mediaone -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:49:52 -0700

Peter Lucas asks:

> Does anybody know if there's a Windows utility that will show you the
> context ID for a field/object without having to dig into the
> source code?
>
> Our company's software consists of several forms and each
> form has multiple
> fields. Each field has a help context ID. When the user has
> the cursor in a
> field, they can press F1 to view the field-level
> help/definition. Is there a
> utility that will allow me to press F1 and then get a popup
> response that
> displays the context ID for the field?

I don't know about a utility, but I have been successfully able to ask my
engineer to put a couple lines into the code that will do just that. When I
press F1, I first get a dialog box that tells me what context ID it is
calling. I press OK and then it brings up the HTML Help file.

From what I understand from him, it's pretty simple to implement, but I
don't know from personal experience since I didn't write it!

Then when we're ready to ship, we'll remove the code.

Good luck!
Jennie Smith
jsmith -at- informatica -dot- com