Re: Content Dissemination

Subject: Re: Content Dissemination
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "Techwr-L List" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:01:30 -0500

Wow....what I see here is a BIG red flag, Anonymous. As a veteran of
this same battle (different year, different battlefield, that's all),
I have some advice: Forget about marketing unless it's your designated
responsibility. You're just going alienate people and jeapordize your
budding career. Your job, as technical writer, and your responsibility
as a professional, is to do your own docs. Period. Yes, you probably
do know how to improve "theirs" but it's not your job. If you end up
alienating both marketing folks and the developers, you're going to be
the one on the street because when you need cooperation, these folks
won't be there for you. One of the hardest lessons to learn in life is
to let some things go....change what you can, but let the rest go:

- License agreements belong to corporate attorneys, even in startup
companies.
- Marketing material is always smoke and mirrors, even in big,
established companies.
- Style guides, while beneficial and needed in any size organization,
rarely make people feel warm and fuzzy toward you....especially if you
"wave it under their noses." They can work just fine, but require a
little finesse in getting everyone to buy into being
regulated....which is essentially their purpose.

Ok...so what DO you do?

- Develop the style guide, but walk very, very softly and slowly.
Introduce it in increments and at the appropriate moments.

- "Recommend" some process guidelines for passing YOUR information to
others who want to use your documents. Do this in writing, to YOUR
boss, and do not accuse anyone of lying or be in anyway disparaging to
your coworkers. Find something good that they do and use that as well.
As for getting between the developers and marketing, don't even go
there.

- Produce squeaky-clean, well-designed documentation that falls
within your realm of responsibility. People will notice when you
produce the goods and will consider that you may just know what you're
talking about. Show don't tell....the old writer's advice.

You say you're new to the field, so we can sympathize to a point.
We've all been there and now are veterans, so listen to what we're
saying. I'm sure you'll get a few people on this list who will tell
you to just quit your job, but that won't help you or the company. It
will just earn you the reputation of being a prima donna. Most of us
have learned that we don't HAVE to win every battle. In a new
organization you can play an important and positive role in helping
them organize and grow. You just need to try looking at yourself
through THEIR eyes occasionally.

I would say "Good luck," but you don't need luck. You need to just
take a deep breath and slow down, use a little common sense, and treat
people kindly (whether they deserve it or not). What goes around,
comes around.